Guacamole Girl

Friday, November 17, 2006

Learning Curve

Yesterday evening I helped out at our church midweek children's club for the first time. A few helpers couldn't make it, so I was drafted in as last minute reinforcements.
Having done Sunday School, summer kids club etc, I thought "OK, no problem." - boy was I wrong!
Although there were only 17 children there, they were really lively & we definately needed 7-8 leaders to keep the programme running smoothly. They got involved enthusuatically in the games, joke-telling & activities, but it was a bit harder to keep their attention in group-time & speaking from the front.
Why was it so difficult? The majority of them were not "church children"! I forgot they're not so used to sitting & listening to an adult. A few were definately anti- paying attention & pro- making a mockery of what I was trying to say.
At the end I was a bit dispirited, but the regular leaders felt there had been a real breakthrough in getting to know the children better & them engaging with what we were trying to teach & model. Wow - if this is a breakthrough, I'm glad I wasn't there on week one!!
So what's the punch-line? I take my hat off to the team who put themselves through that every week because they love all these children & want them to experience the love of Christ. Through the chaos, these are children with wit, imagination & massive creativity - that could grow on you. Next time, I might not be so complacent!

2 Comments:

  • At 10:30 pm, Blogger lynn said…

    With kids like this, relationships are key. They do listen when you think they aren't and they are taking it all in when they get to know the adult and that they consistently are "for them". And you are fab at that! :-) So be encouraged, kids love you!!

     
  • At 3:57 pm, Blogger Guacamole Girl said…

    Thanks Lynn. It's good to be part of a strong team, especially with such inspiring leadership (i.e. you!) modelling the relationship-building process.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home